Saturday, April 10, 2010

Finding the Right Chemotherapy

Today, as I receive much advice from physician friends, many say hold off the chemo for this coming Wednesday, and wait until I do testing with Functional Tumor Cell Profiling from the Weisenthal Cancer Group and the Target Now testing to find out which chemo will work best against my particular cancer. Sounds reasonable, and even exciting, to think such kind of pinpointing is available. I found out about the Functional Tumor Cell Profiling a bit late, until after my exploratory surgery, and they need a fresh biopsy to be able to do their tests. I have to find out what getting such another biopsy would involve.

I am eager to get going with some chemo regimin, and don't know how long I can wait being 50 pounds underweight to begin a regimin that will begin to attack the disease process and help me put weight on.

I expect to begin the Folfiri on Wednesday, and follow up on what testing I can at the same time. Due to my underweight, now is not the time for waiting on more testing, but for action against the cancer, however imperfect it may be at the beginning. But I await the final recommendations of my doctor advisors on Tuesday before knowing for sure I will go ahead on Wednesday.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Robert,
    I am wrapping you in love. Of course.....feel all your feelings. I'm here. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Robert,
    in addition to the Wisenthal group I suggested to you, there is one more here in Southern California that offers chemosensitivity tests conducted by Robert Nagourney, MD,
    750 E 29th St, Long Beach, CA 90806-1712
    http://www.rationaltherapeutics.com

    I think it would be best to explore all of them. Even send cells to all three of them and see how their recommendation compare.

    All the best and if anyone can beat this thing it is for sure you.
    Cristiana Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Robert, I suggested to you large doses of Vit D and Vit K and now I am thinking that you may not absorb them well through the gut so do sublingual liquid emulsified vit D and liquid Vit K. These two vitamins increase apoptosis of cancer cells so they should work well in conjunction with chemo.
    One study even showed benefit of topical application of vit D on a cancer , such as breast, by reducing tumor size significantly. In fact vit D would normally be produced by the skin so administering as much as possible through the skin of the abdominal area by skin route may be very helpful. All the best Cristiana Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the doctors I know suggested Avemar in conjunction with chemo and on its own too.
    I looked it up on their website and Medline and it seems promising. Anybody out there had experiences with this?
    It seems to inhibit glucose utilization by cancer cells, which is their primary fuel and inhibit DNA/RNA synthesis. It is a dietary supplement from Hungary, you can get at Amazon.
    www.avemar.com/research_solid_tumors_1.php
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16255377
    Farkas E. [Fermented wheat germ extract in the supportive therapy of
    colorectal cancer]. Orv Hetil. 2005 Sep 11;146(37):1925-31. Hungarian. PubMed
    PMID: 16255377.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12888813
    Medical nutriment has supportive value in the treatment of colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer. 2003 Aug 4;89(3):465-9. Jakab F, et all
    PubMed PMID: 12888813;

    Cristiana Paul,MS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Robert,
    We are including you in our thoughts and prayers sending you strength, faith, and love. I know that this part of your journey in life comes as a shock as you surround yourself with your good friends. Know that you have helped the lives of so many, and we are all here to lend you support. You have many resources at hand to aid you.
    Humble regards,
    Janet Woo OD, MS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert... wishing you all the best...
    I have a nutrition book at home, it mentions that cabbage and members of the cabbage "family" eg radish etc have potent anti-cancer properties...you could consider daily juicing of cabbage, maybe the red kind as likely to have more antioxidants with its intense colour.... its a strong taste so maybe water it down with cucumber juice/carrot juice/ whatever you fancy..?
    Also, not sure if your haemoglobin is still an issue but beetroot juice is an excellent blood builder (i hate the taste so I always have to dilute it with other juices- its very sweet!)
    I'm a great believer in nourishing the body- provide your cells with what they need to function optimally :)
    Hope that helps, Carolyn (veterinary student) Xx

    ReplyDelete