Thursday, April 15, 2010

On the Rails of Love

I remember a week or so ago, lying in my hospital bed at night, still absorbing everything from the day my mother, her husband, and my sister had all visited. I had also spoken to my brother in San Francisco on the phone. I thought of my father, in Dallas, slated for cancer surgery in the upcoming days. And I felt enveloped in love from and to them all. I felt, lying there in the dark with the machines beeping around me and the hospital noises from the hall occasionally breaking my train of of thought, that I was on a rail, much like like a train, but firmly on the rails of love. And thoughts of death, the end of life, seemed suddenly not so important to me or even real. "There is no birth, no death," the chemist Lavoisier said. "There is only love," a million Beatles songs add. And it is true. Enveloped in that love, feeling the guidance of the connection to those I love the most, there was no fear, no death, no anger, no regrets, none of the erroneous ideas our mind creates like a fun house when we are not in the folds of love. So may we always be there, and may we always experience its peace, its wholeness, and the joy of connection it can bring us. We all want love, and it's all we want I feel. I wish always to be in that place of connection, always. May you always be there as well.

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff Robert. You are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Robert. There is a very thin veil between this life and the next and I think that love is ultimately the thing that connects us all. Sending you much love on your journey!

    I hope today went as well as can be expected.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Robert and so are you. Thank you and Love, Lynn

    ReplyDelete