Friday, April 9, 2010

Today

I am a 48 year old single overworking male who had extreme fatigue which I attributed to various causes such as work and stress, but finally went into the hospital to be evaluated. My hemoglobin was 2.9, and basically they didn't know why I was still alive. Nine units of blood later, it was around 10, still low but much better. My weight was also down significantly.

Also, a CAT scan of the upper body, then a colonoscopy, revealed a diagnosis of colon cancer stage 4.

Today, I am recovering from exploratory surgery in my gut 10 days ago, and thankfully now out of the hospital staying with loving friends. Chemo to start next Wednesday, Folfiri. I hope it is effective. Doctors say that perhaps it will extend my life, not cure the cancer. My friends in natural medicine are more optimistic. I remain in learning mode about the whole thing, not knowing.

I was at White Plains hospital in NY, and loved the staff. I feel so blessed by their help. I will continue to work with the physicians and surgeons there and explore my treatment options and share my experiences. That is what this blog will be about.

7 comments:

  1. Robert, I had no doubt you would be writing about your experience ;)and I am very optimistic about your recovery and remission!! xoxox Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many on the Cape are sending lots of loving energy. We're there with you.

    Annoncape

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending healing prayers and energy, Robert. I have lots of familiarity with colon cancer so if there is any research you could use a helper to do for you, please don't hesitate to call on me. Also, if I were to be diagnosed with cancer, my first stop would be www.cancerdecisions.com --I'm sure you are familiar with Ralph Moss PhD and his work. And, I would call your attention to the recent study published by MD Anderson re homeopathic remedies and breast cancer and Dr. A.U. Ramakrishan's work (A Homeopathic Approach to Cancer)...this is my forte and I would be happy to help in whatever way possible. May the Force be with you my friend! =) Annelle Norman, BSc(Hons) LCH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert, I am so sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to you, and I send you lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robert,

    I'm glad you're writing! You know I love your writing and I think you're one of the best. I'm thinking about you tons these days. I sent a card with a longer note, I tried to call but couldn't reach you today.

    Get well soon, sending you oodles and oodles of love and light.

    Jolene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert,

    I knew you would pop up with a Blog for all us to follow your healing process. You have inspired so many in your life now it's time to take care of yourself and to heal!!! We will be following your process.

    I so glad our paths cross 9 years ago... If it wasn't for you I wouldn't know all the benefits of alternative medicine. So I want to extend my love and peace to you and let you know Jon, Juliette and new baby girl Francesca are thinking about you.

    Love,

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robert,
    Keep your chin up - you are in great care and surrounded by great friends. Thank you for writing this blog. So many people care about you! You've been such an inspiration to me, I send mucho hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    Helen Dohrman

    ReplyDelete